Vocabulary Word Test
Here's a really quick way of testing if you've learned the meanings of the words in this section. Look at the word definitions below and see if you can remember what each word is from their definitions.
If you get stuck, you can be shown the mnemonic to reveal an image that should help you remember.
To check if you're right, or remind you if you've forgotten, click the question and it will flip to reveal the answer.
Go through the whole list to see how many words you can recall. Revisit any that you had difficulty remembering until you're confident you can recall all of them.
Back to list
1. foolish talk or actions 2. a useless or worthless article
Shared by, typical of, or relating to a whole group of similar things
A special court chosen to examine a particular problem
clean and fresh as if new
a young cow, especially one that has not had a calf
lacking a plan, purpose, or enthusiasm
1. very hot and humid 2. hot with passion or anger
a secret rendezvous between lovers
1. The entrance to a building or room 2. The point at which a situation changes
a warning to someone that unless they act in a particular way, action will be taken against them
the burial of a corpse in grave or tomb
1. a small, short tailed rodent found in the arctic tundra 2. A person who unthinkingly joins a mass movement, especially a headlong rush to destruction
the practice of restraining oneself from indulging in something
A person who controls property and/or money for another person or organisation
a large and especially badly disorganised number of things
1. a drinking glass with straight sides and no handle 2. an acrobat, especially one who performs somersaults
Relating to punishment given by law
1. smear or rub with holy water or oil, typically as part of a religious ceremony 2. to officially or formally choose someone (to do something)
be mistaken or incorrect; make a mistake